Saturday, February 12, 2011

Saturdays at the feria

Saturday morning we always get up and either make pancakes or french toast. This morning we had neither pancake mix nor bread so I went and got a couple donuts. After we all get ready, we walk about amile away to the produce market. It is not huge like the one in Tegucigalpa, but it is good enough for us. If you cook much in Loisiana, you know that parsley is almost as important as Tony's and Tabasco in your cooking. I have been looking for fresh parsley everywhere for several weeks. I had pretty much given up on it because the main herb they use in cooking here is cilantro. Everything has cilantro in it. I kept thinking if they can grow so much cilantro they should be able to grow a few parsley plants. Finally, this morning, I walked passed a booth and they had both fresh parsley and fresh spinach. Perfect. I was so excited to find this.

The spinach is another story in itself. I have always bought spinach trimmed, cleaned and bagged. I never thought much about how those leaves got into the bags. I guess I just imagined that the fell to the ground and were gathered and cleaned. I don't know, I just didn't think about it. Well I saw spinach last week and picked it up and thought this can't be spinach, spinach is always sold just as leaves. I was in a store and they had some stuff that looked like what I thought might be spinach and sure enough it was. Sometimes I feel pretty silly when I don't even recognize vegetables because they are not cleaned and packaged like I am used to seeing them. I felt less bad when I was buying my spinach and my friend asked me what it was. She had never seen spinach like that either.

No comments: