Monday, February 14, 2011

I ATE CROW!!

One of Haley's rules is that she cannot be a picky eater. We are going to live in a place where many children do not eat every day, and when they do eat, they would never reject it. If she doesn't eat it for lunch, she is served it again at snack in the afternoon. If she still doesn't eat it, it becomes her dinner. This might sound a little mean, but it works. She always eats her food, even if she doesn't like it. Well today, I was put in a situation where I had to follow the same rule. We bought some sandwich ham at the store that tasted much more like bologna. I HATE BOLOGNA!! My first thought was as soon as Lili goes to bed, this is going in the trash and I will eat watermelon for lunch. I had to rethink that. If I make Haley eat what she is served, I must also eat what I am served. Matt asked me if I was going to eat the sandwich, and I said, "Of course I am, I certainly don't want to eat this for supper!" Matt laughed and said, "I will eat it for you and you can just have watermelon." Ooooh, he was reading my mind. I said that it wasn't fair for me to make Haley not be a picky eater and for me to be one. So, I finished my sandwich, not enjoying it very much but feeling much less hypocritical than I would have felt if I had just skipped to the yummy watermelon.

Do you ever make your kids do things and wish that you did not have to do the same things?

1 comment:

Terri L Tindall said...

You are a good mommy. I do not like bologna either. I ate it when served to me by a Honduran, but I would have let Matt eat it and gone to the watermelon. You are better than I am