Monday, February 28, 2011

Fitting in to Church

Church here is hard.  We are finally at a level where we can understand most of it, but as any parent can tell you, when you are trying to keep a busy, curious, active under 2 year old still and quiet for long periods of time, you are not going to know what is being said in any language.  Today we sang several songs that I knew (or at least knew the tune in English).  I love worshiping when I know the words to the song.  Most of the time at our church I've never heard the songs before.  I recognize the words, but can't figure out the tune until the song has finished.  Today, the regular preacher was not there which means we ended the worship service a lot earlier. 

Haley was much calmer today then the last time we were at church.  However, calmer still meant climbing under a pew and running for the front of the auditorium.  Everyone mentioned that she is doing so much better in the worship service, and that little by little she will behave better.  In between class and worship, one lady invited us to eat with her family next week.  I quickly told her how much we would love to come.  Then I remembered that my mother-in-law who speaks no Spanish was going to bring us.  I figured that she would defer the lunch to another time, but this made her even more excited to have us for lunch.  She has a daughter that is two, and she just knew the girls needed to play together.  Another women came to me and told me she wanted to get together for cafecito sometime.  Cafecito is just afternoon coffee and snacks, but we have been told that if you make plans for cafecito, you don't make other plans for the rest of the afternoon.  You are to simply enjoy the time with friends.  I am so happy that after 7 months at this church we are starting to really connect with the people in the congregation.  Sadly, in 5 more months we will leave.

After our enjoyable time of fellowship, we went to class, and Haley eagerly went to her class.  About 45 minutes into class, I could hear Haley in her classroom screaming.  After a few minutes, I couldn't take it anymore.  I knew she was exhausted (although she got 14 hours of sleep last night).  At that point she wanted me and no one else.  I calmed her down and tried to take her back to class and at the thought of that she screamed for mommy.  The kids' class had ended so they were just playing games till the adult class ended.  While we waited downstairs a couple of the teachers of other kid classes tried to hole Haley and my usually sweet friendly daughter would not have anything to do with it.  I hope one day we can make it through the worship time as well as Bible class without Haley breaking down and throwing a fit.

Other than Haley getting upset, I really enjoyed worshiping with our family here in CR.  It is so incredible that no matter where in the world we go, we have brothers and sisters in Christ.  Please pray that our last 5 months here bring stronger relationships.  Praise God that we are starting to form relationships and be seen as members of this church not just the visiting gringos.

No comments: