Saturday, April 9, 2011

Corazon de Marsmelo

The other day, Matt's grammar teacher told him he had a corazon de marsmelo.  In Honduras, the word for "Marshmellow" is besito, so I was surprised to learn that here it is marsmelo (it is actually spelled like we spell it in English.)  He laughed at Dixie, and she told him it was a compliment because he has a soft-squishy heart that melts easily for other people.  Well today, at our time in Valle del Sol, I decided Emilce also has a corazon de marsmelo. 

Emilce is 10, and initially upon meeting her you might thing she has a sassy little attitude.  She likes to try to control things in class, but still manages to always show respect for me.  Last week she told me that if  I didn't bring Lili (Haley), she would quit coming to class.  I kind of laughed at her, but at the same time, I thought she might be serious.  Last week Haley wasn't feeling well enough to go, but she was better today.  As soon as Emilce showed up, she had Haley by her side.  It didn't matter to her that Haley was wet from a leaky diaper, she wanted her in her lap.  During the singing time (which I didn't lead today, gracias a Dios), she asked if Haley could go with her to get some cookies.  I told her Haley would cry if she went away without me, so she said, "Well you can come too, profe."  I went and she first bought some cookies, which I assumed were for her, but she bought them just for Haley.  She bought some gummy worms for herself and asked me what I wanted.  I never cease to be amazed at the genorousity of others who have so much less than me.

After the Bible lesson, Emilce patiently helped Haley color than showed me where the pulperia (small store that sells daily necessities) was where I could buy Haley a diaper.  She did not care that Haley is very heavy; she just toted her around all afternoon. 

After everyone finished coloring, they had 3 options 1) to learn some English (which several had been wanting to learn to speak), 2) work a puzzle or 3) play outside with a ball.  Emilce took option 4 which was make sure Lili doesn't get hurt.  She was very gentle with her all afternoon.  Before we left, she asked to take Haley to meet her mom at her house, I told her that Matt could walk with her while some other kids and I cleaned up the building.  Matt said her house was not nice by our standards, but much nicer than the tin houses with dirt floors in this village.  It was a cement block house that was stuccoed with a tile floor.  The "kitchen" was a clay oven, and the 2 rooms were separated by a a sheet of tin. 

I was reminded by Emilce's love for Haley that you have to have much to have a giving heart.  We often make excuses for why we cannot give to others, but to give you just need love and time.  That translates in any language. 

Don't forget to comment to win a bag of Costa Rican Coffee.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is so special for a young person to click so wonderfuly with a little person. I am sure that both of the girls will benefit from this relationship. I can tell from what you have to say about Haley she is not hard to fall for and also from seeing the photos and the videos you make for her great grandma, that she is a very loveable and lively little girl. I hope you have a wonderful time with your mother next week. linda