Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Adventures in Travel

We are here in Tegucigalpa, and it was an experience getting here.  Tuesday morning, we planned on not doing anything at home for breakfast because we did not want to dirty up any dishes so we headed for donuts.  Haley had thrown up Monday night, but she seemed to be feeling great Tuesday morning.  However, we knew something was wrong with Haley when she hardly touched her donut.  After breakfast, we planned on walking to the school to get our grades and say bye to some friends that are leaving Costa Rica while we are here in Honduras and going on to their field of service.  Before we even got to the school, Haley once again began to throw up.  I won't lie, I made Haley walk home from there because I did not want her puke on me.  Poor thing wasn't upset that I made her walk, but that I had her binky with throwup on it and that I wouldn't give it to her.  We got back home, put her in her third set of clothes for the day (although it was only 7:30). 

We got to the airport and through security early, meanwhile, I was fervently praying that Haley would not get sick while we traveled.  Thanks to God she didn't.  I wouldn't have handled that very well.  We had to change planes in El Salvador, but after much waiting, we were told that our flight was canceled.  All three of us were a bit tired and cranky at this point, but relieved when they told us that we would be staying in the Intercontinental.  We had a nice room with a down comforter, a big flat-screen TV, and a shower that produced really hot water with pressure.  They also gave us a free hour of internet and a free 5 minute international phone call.  We were allowed to eat dinner and breakfast no expense to us at the hotel.  However, we promised Haley pizza earlier in the day.  She loves pizza and was very cranky.  We knew that she could play in the playplace while eating her favorite food and she would be a very happy camper.  Thankfully this was the case.  After dinner we headed back to the hotel to go to bed.  That bed was the softest most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. 

This morning we were supposed to be downstairs for breakfast at 5:30 and we would leave for the airport to get on our next flight.  I didn't know that all of our boarding passes for today were already printed, so I had a slight worry that we might not make it on the earliest flight to Tegucigalpa today.  Fortunately, all of us made it on the flight this morning with a couple seats to spare., and we ended up with another stamp on our passport that none of us have had  before.

We arrived in Tegucigalpa, and my dad with his special badge walked all the way back to migration where they check our passports.  Oh we were so happy to see him!!  Haley has been saying POP for the last several days.  Unfortunately when she saw him she had only been awake about a minute and wasn't really sure about everything going on.

Waiting for us on the other side of customs was Cindy and Brayan.  They have both grown so much.  Cindy is a beautiful young lady that will turn 10 in July.  She has a very special place in mine and Matt's hearts, and she knows it.  Brayan is 12, and he loves to practice his English.  All afternoon he refused to speak in Spanish to me.  Both Cindy and Brayan toted Haley around the whole airport until we sat down to eat.

After eating we piled in my dad's car and headed for Santa Ana!  What a great feeling to be going to the place I love so much.  Waiting for me in Santa Ana was my mom and 17 other kids that wanted to hug my neck.  Mostly, they wanted to hug Lili.  Precious child is so good natured.  She was clearly exhausted when we arrived, but she let all of the kids get in her face and carry her. 

The children refuse to accept that Haley has the ability to do anything on her own.  They try to help her walk, climb, jump, or run.  I keep telling them that they can play with Haley, but that they must not control her.  The love these kids have for Haley us indescribable.  I really fear they will love her so much that they will hurt her, but I hope not.

After playing with the kids for a few hours, my dad asked if we wanted to look at a property in Ojojona (no Sherry, we didn't walk).  This is the property where we will one day care for the girls.  It is beautiful, but it needs a lot of work.  It was so exciting to vision our dream as actually one day becoming a reality.  Please pray that everything works out for this property and house to be purchased. 

Today I am grateful for another great day in Honduras.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy you get to be with your parents for a while and share that little girl with so many that love her. It will be a very special time for your family as the time is getting so close to you finally getting to live there. Dream big because I bet the next time you are there you will be too busy to dream, the work will begin. So happy for you all. linda