Tuesday, October 11, 2011

A ticket, demonstration, and some furniture

Monday is our day off, but yesterday it certainly wasn't a day of relaxing.  In theory we were going to drive to town go to Pricemart, go to Walmart and eat lunch at the mall then head to our house in Ojojona and setting things up for a while before we left to go back in to town for a date, celebrating Matt's birthday.  But as things go in Honduras nothing went that smoothly.

I told Matt I knew how to get to Pricemart, but I always give bad directions.  As soon as we exited, I said, "oops this is the wrong turn, oh well i still know how to get there."  We were going, and I thought we needed to turn around (which in the end we didn't).  I told him to make a U turn at the light which I don't think is ever illegal in Honduras, and immediately, a cop (on foot) waved us down.  Evidently we made the only illegal Uturn in all of Honduras, because he was trying to give us a ticket.  I asked how we were supposed to know, and he said we just were.  In the end, he told us we could go to transito, pay the ticket, come back with the reciept and get Matt's license.  That is not really how things work here.  Normally you have to go 2 or 3 days later to transito pay your ticket and they will give your lisence back to you.  We tried it anyway.  I told a few people what happened, and eventually a very kind police officer asked what I needed help with, and he ended up calling the officer 2 blocks away that took Matt's lisence and going to get it back from him.  I left the transito office with Matt's lisence in hand and I didn't have to pay a cent.

We headed on for Pricemart, and traffic shortly thereafter stopped.  There was some sort of parade or demonstration happening.  We finally got to Pricemart 3 hours after we left the house.  We got the things we neeeded there and headed back up the mountain without going to WalMart. 

On the way up the mountain we put a deposit on a couch, love seat, and a chair.  We got to the road to our house in Ojojona and we could not pass through a certain part of the road without wrecking our car.  So we unloaded the truck from there. 

Matt said he was going to start putting shelves together while I went and packed the suitcases and brought them over.  At this time we were still planning to have our date. 

I finally got most of our stuff ready to go, but by the time I got back to Ojojona, it was to late to start back to town, but my parents offered to keep her tonight so we could still have our birthday date.  One day I willl quit expecting things to work smoothly in Honduras and then I will be surprised if they ever do.

No comments: