Sunday, October 2, 2011

Seyda

On Friday, I went with Karen to Casitas Kennedy for visitation.  While some of our kids were having some time with their parents, I met several girls between 12-16 (the age of the girls that Matt and I one day want to help).  One girl really left a lasting impression on my heart.

Her name was Seyda.  She was 12.  She had no shoes on her feet.  She told me that INFHA (Honduran DHS) doesn't have enough money to provide anyone with shoes.  I'm not sure on what level it is true or not.  I know that INFHA has very little money right now and is struggling a lot though.  Seyda almost finished 6th grade this year before she ran away from home.  To finish 6th grade here is as big of an accomplishment of graduating High School in the States.  She ran away because her mom beat her all the time.  She showed me some scars from knives where her mom had tried to stab her.

I don't want to tell Seyda's story only to make you feel sad, because she wasn't sad.  I want to tell you Seyda's story to tell you about her hope and faith in Christ.  I asked her if she had a dad.  She said only her Father in heaven.  she continued to tell me that he had brought her through everything in her life and kept her safe.  She also said that just because she had had a hard life, doesn't mean that God is far from her, but that has brought her closer to God. 

Visiting with Seyda really touched my heart.

No comments: