Thursday, October 20, 2011

My child labor force

Yesterday, I had to price a ton of stuff for the Casa de Esperanza store.  There would have been no way I could have done it in one day by myself.  So I recruited Cindy to watch Haley and Ana, Jackson, Brayan, and Fernando to help me with the merchandise.  Fer lasted only about 3 minutes before he and I mutually decided that he would be better off playing since he wasn't wanting to work.  The kids haven't had school in 2 weeks, so doing something productive was a welcome break to some of them.

Having four of us working versus just me while chasing Haley was a million times more productive.  Ana  made price tags.  Jackson cut strings and counted each item.  Brian and I taped and tied the price tags to everything.  When it came to the toys (especially the sling shots) the boys said they were going to save their allowance till they could buy it.  I highly doubt that, but I would be proud of them if they could save their allowence that long.  Jackson tried on everything that could be tried.  At one point he had on a burlap satchel, a cell phone holder, a head band, a sling shot and a yo yo.  I promised them all that if they came back after their chores while the little kids took a nap, I would buy them a coke.  Fortunately,  we didn't have much left to do because the coke made them all very hyper.  I had a fun day yesterday being with only a few kids.  I love to see how they act when they are asked to handle a little extra responsiblity. 

No comments: