Tuesday, March 4, 2008

A Night on the Town





The kids here are on a reward system. They have a tree with apples on it, and each apple has one of the kids names on it. If they can keep their apple on the tree (behave well) for 13 out of 14 days they are allowed a reward. My dad decided to reward them with dinner and a movie. Nine of us left right after nap time around 3:30, and we were headed to a movie at 4:30. Well out on the main highway there was a huge wreck about three miles down the road. An eighteen wheeler had tipped over. If you haven't been here, its hard enough to explain how people drive here. Lets just say its a lot worse when there is a wreck. It was 4:45 when we got to the bottom of the hill, and we still had to take Dilcia and Reyna to their houses. My dad called Karen and got special permission to keep the kids out late. He had promised them a movie; therefore, he was going to take them to a movie.
We had so much fun. First we had Church's Chicken from the food court. Fried chicken is just about the favorite food of the kids here. They loved it, and they all wanted to take food home to the kids who didn't get a reward. My dad suggested they find a street kid to share with. There were, however, no street kids. Instead they gave it to a man begging. He was delighted.
At the movie, the kids talked my dad into buying cokes and popcorn. What a softy he is! I think most of the popcorn was gone by the time the movie started. During the movie, Daniela got really tired and began asking when she could go home to her bed. All of the kids loved the movie, and had a great time.
Matt and I really enjoy our time with these kids, and it is so good to be here with them.

1 comment:

Ginger said...

Your dad is amazing, isn't he? He would spend his last dime making kids happy I believe. Those kids will NEVER FORGET the great time they had.
I was smiling all the way through your blog.
You have taken some great pictures. I am enjoying seeing them. You all really had a great few days and I am sure memorable for you and Matt as well.
I am praying for a safe trip back to the states for you and safe trip to Columbus, MS for the wedding.
See ya soon. G. F.