Sunday, March 2, 2008

KM 85




On they way from San Pedro Sula to Santa Ana at kilometer 85 we saw the poorest squatter village I have ever seen. It broke my heart. There was approximately 100 houses that were litterally put together with pieces of trash and sticks. These structures were things that people in the United States wouldn't even dream of putting their lawn mowers in.
This is a state of poverty and despair that I just can't understand. I so badly want to know of a way beyond helping build houses for these people. Even when we build them a house and give them food, they are still left destitute. I am not saying that we should quit helping these people's immediate needs, I just want God to use us to help people help themselves. I want to see relationships built. I think developmental work must include spiritual development and teaching the people to embetter themselves.
These houses truly were the saddest living conditions that I have ever seen. I want to see these people helped. I also want to see these people encounter Jesus, the one who provides a great hope.
Soon after we left this communtity, I saw a little girl walking with her mother. She was probably six, and she was completely naked and dirty. She had little blonde streaks in her hair which are a sign of malnourishment. It was very sad.
Sometimes I feel so small and miniscule in this great big world of need. There are so many people who need to feel the hope of Jesus. There are so many who were born in the part of the world where they have nothing. I also have to remember that I might not be able to change the whole world, but I know that God will use me to change the lives of a few, one at a time. I pray everyday that God will use me to teach about him, to help them have a better life, and to teach them to teach others. In order for big things to happen, one must dream big, work hard, and put their faith in God that he will make it happen.








No comments: