Wednesday, November 7, 2012

A Tender Heart

And Jesus said, "And let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."   Matthew 19:14

I never cease to be amazed at the tender heart of my little Haley.  She has a big heart and cares so much for the good of others.  In talking about returning home to Honduras, one of the things she has been most excited about is feeding people. 

It makes me proud that she loves to help others that have less than her.  For a long time, I didn't really think she understood why we feed people, but recently, I asked her.  She said, "They are poor and it makes God happy to help them."  I suppose in other things we have said in our life, she gathered that, but I don't remember specificly teaching her that.

I love to see her desire to help others, whether it is filling Harvest bags with Cheryl so people here in Baton Rouge, passing out carrots and cucumbers in communities like Buen Samaritano, or smiling as she helps give plates at the Jesus Banquet.

It also amazes me how she loves the kids at Casa de Esperanza so deeply.  She even refers to them as her kids.  She amazingly doesn't have big fights with them.  There are days when she gets a little jealous of them, but mostly, she just loves them.  Many days, while we have been here in Baton Rouge, she has cried over how badly she missed them.

There are many things I learn from how Haley lives.  She has an innocense and purity that only a child can have.  She loves deeply and powerfully.  She does not care if a person is a millionare or someone working in the dump; she veiws them in the same light.  She speaks a simple truth, and she thanks God for everything she can think of. 

Maybe we can all take some lessons from my three year old.

No comments: