Friday, May 18, 2012

Yaslin

A few weeks ago, when I was at Teleton, I met Yaslin (pronounced Jasleen).  Yaslin always wears a smile, braided pigtails, and glasses.  My goal is to always talk to her, make her laugh, and make her feel beautiful.  She is in a wheelchair at Teleton, but the one she uses there belongs there.  She does not have one for the rest of her daily life.  Today, I spent some time talking to her dad, and I learned a lot about this smiley little girl.  She was born with the bottom half of her body paralyzed and hydrocephalus.  At Hospital Escuela, they needed $300 to acquire some sort of helmet to help with the water on her head, and the size of it.  While to us it seems very easy to find a way to find $300 to provide for our child's medical need, but here in Honduras, people just simply cannot come up with that much money.  I also found out that at one time she did have a wheelchair, but the terrain of Honduras wore it out after a couple years, they do not have the means to get a new one.

Yaslin's dad was not telling me this for me to feel sorry for his girl, nor was he asking for help.  We were just talking about our kids and why they were in Teleton.  It was encouraging to me to see that they are not mad or bitter about Yaslin's situation.  Grateful to have the opportunity to get to know Yaslin a little better today.

No comments: