Friday, May 18, 2012

Preschool

Back in February when I started my morning preschool class, it seemed like the most helpless class.  I didn't think I could actually make a difference to these kids or that they would ever learn anything.  Of the 7 in my class, only Haley could recognize some shapes or colors and  none of them could recognize any letters, numbers and other basic things that most preschoolers know.

At first no one could sit down for more than 30 seconds at a time.  They would not listen to even one story.  I did not have a set curriculum, and pretty much flew by the seat of my pants on a daily basis.  Now we read 4 or 5 stories and sing songs.  I have a plan for each week, and the kids are much better with their behavior.

I thought my starting point would be asking "What color is this?" or "What number is this?"  Instead I had to go back and teach what colors, letters, and numbers were.  I think Haley, Cris and Josue have made the biggest leaps since February.  The three of them recognize most colors most of the time.  They know almost any animal I show them pictures of and what that animal does.  When their name is written down on paper, they recognize it as their name.  They can all participate in story time through interaction and answering questions.  The three of them recognize the pattern of each day and can always tell us what is coming next.

Some days, I feel like Any has made no progress.  Still she cannot sit still for more than 3 seconds.   She does not listen.  No discipline seems to work.  Today, however, God shows me that some things are, in fact sinking in with her.  She is able to recognize some animals.  She is speaking a little bit better.  She completed a somewhat challenging star-shaped puzzle today.

I am thankful that I can see that these kids are learning some, and I praise God for the changes he is making in their lives, however little bit at a time it is. 

No comments: