Monday, April 30, 2012

Parade at Teleton

Recently, I have been going to Teleton twice a week, and for the next 2 months I will be going a minimum of three times a week.  We currently have 5 kids in various classes to aid learning disabilities, psychologists, and physical therapists.  Generally, I usually only bring two kids at a time for class and if Matt is busy, Haley comes too.  During the week, I am responsible for working with each of the kids individually to help catch them up to speed and help them with their weekly assignments.  This morning, however, Matt and I loaded up Haley along with Fernando, Guadalupe, Reina, and Maryuri, and we left with them at 5:30.  All but Haley were to march in the SOLDARIDAD parade this morning. 

Maryuri and Reina were to dress up as a professional.  We knew for a couple weeks, so we told them they could be whatever type of professional they wanted.  Maryuri immediately told us she was going to be a doctor.  Some of the ladies from church, Elena and Anita, can sew anything we can think up, so we had Elena make a lab coat for Maryuri.  We received it yesterday at church, and Maryuri was so proud of it.  Reina wanted to be a teacher.  In the girls' closet there is a professional looking suit dress with a jacket.  She chose to wear that, and was so excited to tell everyone that she was a teacher.  The group that Fernando and Guadalupe are in all dressed in green shirts.  Fer and Lupe were a little surprised that they also were in the parade because they thought they were just going for a regular day of class.

I was dreading taking all 5 with me.  Matt drove, but he was also going to be leaving to run errands.  We got there a few minutes before 7, and except for a couple moments all 5 children did really well.  Fer and Lupe went off with their teacher a few around 7:30, and I didn't talk to them until after the parade.  Maryuri and Reina were supposed to meet at their class at 7:00, but their teacher did not arrive until almost 8:00.  While I stayed with the girls, Matt took Haley to the cafeteria to get a bite to eat.  The teacher eventually arrived, and I was finally able to get a little breakfast. 

When I left Maryuri and Reina, both were very excited about marching in the parade.  Maryuri had found her best friend from class who was also dressed like a doctor.  They were telling everyone that they were here to give shots.  By the time Haley, Matt and I finished breakfast, all of the commotion was beginning to make Maryuri nervous.  I told her I would be watching the parade and she would do great.  I walked off to check on Fernando and Guadalupe, and before I got back someone ran to me saying that my girl was crying.  I immediately looked for Haley who was on the playground, thinking she had fallen.  Haley was very happy; it was Maryuri that was crying.  With the drums and all of the commotion of the day, Maryuri got very scared, and decided she was not going to do the parade.  The teacher tried to calm her down and said that she could stay by her side the whole time.  That wouldn't settle her down.  The teacher asked her if she would like me to walk in the parade with her and she said yes. 

At this point I looked a bit like a bag lady with my big bag that carries everyone's notebooks and appointment books and snacks.  I also had in tote, my mom's big camera back with the camera around my neck.  I said that I would walk with her if I didn't have to carry all of the stuff with me.  Haley and I lined up with Maryuri and Reina to walk in the parade.  (Matt left to run errands, so Haley was with me.)  It wasn't long before Haley wanted to be carried, but for a long time I insisted that she walked.  Maryuri finally calmed down enough that she had a lot of fun in the parade.  Haley liked the sound of the drums, and danced and hopped for much of the parade. 

Since Maryuri had a breakdown, I didn't see much of Lupe and Fer in the parade because they were behind where we were marching, but they told me later that they had tons of fun.  We marched through a neighborhood where many retired people were home.  They came out to watch the parade and cheered all of the kids on.  There were news reporters and many people taking pictures there to make this a very special day for the kids. 

Teleton is full of kids with various physical and learning disabilities.  These children are frequently rejected by other children or by society.  Today was designed to make them feel very special, and they succeeded in doing so.  Our kids all enjoyed being in the parade.

On the way home, we stopped across from the airport because Matt needed to change out a little money, and while he was taking care of business we bought three donuts so that each child (including Emma Kate) could have half of a donut.  When we got back in the car, all the kids but Haley and Reina fell asleep.  Between the early morning and the parade, these kiddos were worn out.  Today I'm so grateful for a time to boost these children's self esteem.

Pictures to come.

No comments: