Friday, June 27, 2008

Hospital Esquala

Yesterday a small group went to Hospital Esquela. Matt and I did not really want to go because it is always so emotionally draining for us. Yesterday it was more draining than it had ever been in our experiences going. The group wanted to go to the children's orthopedic ward to visit with and pray wit those children. As we approached the top of the stairs we saw a familiar face. We got closer and realized that that face was the face of our friend Maria. Maria is from Nueva Oriental, and we have built a relationship with her over the last couple weeks.

Maria noticed us and hurried to us. She buried her head into my shoulder and started to weep. She told me that her oldest daughter Cindy was in the operation room. Maria said she did not know what was wrong with her daughter. All Maria knew is that her daughter was having severe pains in her abdominal area. Maria was so concerned for her daughter. Hospital Esquela had done nothing to inform her of the condition of her daughter.

We offered to pray with Maria. After the prayer, she clinched us and did not want to let us go. We had a little bit of money with us so we offered a little bit to help pay for her operation because we knew that Maria doesn't have much money. We also knew that if she had been there very long, she hadn't eaten. Mark Halbert gave us a little money to get her some food. Because we didn't know how long she would be there we wanted to get her food that wouldn't quickly parish.

When Matt and I came back from the grocery store, Maria had found out some information on her daughter. Cindy was in recovery. I think Maria said that her daughter had had a miscarriage, but I am not positive. We saw Maria a few more times during the day, and each time, she was just so upset.

I never enjoy the Hospital because it is always so draining on me. The care the people receive is horrible. It was even harder on me when I walked in there and saw someone I knew. I didn't want someone I knew to have to receive that kind of care. I wanted them to be able to receive good care and the comfort that doctors in the States try to provide. It tore my heart to have Maria in my arms weeping. Please pray for her 18 year old daughter Cindy as she heals.

No comments: