Friday, June 13, 2008

Frankie

On Tuesday, Matt and I were with my dad in town running errands. We stopped for a quick bite at Burger King, and when we were getting in the truck to leave, a boy named Frankie came up to us asking for money. My dad said he wouldn't give him money, but he would go back inside Burger King to buy him some food. Generally, we don't like to give street children money because they often just buy glue with it to inhale. Glue is cheaper than food and it gets rid of hunger pains. While my dad was inside BK I spent a few minutes talking to Frankie. I found out that he was 12 years old. He has lived on the streets for a little over a year. He went to the streets to beg when his mother died. He said he has no idea who his father is. Frankie has some older siblings that live somewhere in the city, but he doesn't know where they live. Frankie told me that most of the people that come into contact with him are hateful to him. In my own research I have learned that many people think that street children are equal or less than rats. The government doesn't really help the kids on the street to much. Frankie had one pair of sandals that were broken. He was dirty from head to foot. He said that when it rains he has to find a place to hide so he doesn't get too wet. Frankie told me that normally he only gets food five times per week.

There are so many children like Frankie all over this city as well as many other cities in the world. I wish there was some big way to reach these kids. I pray for them often, I also pray that God will show me a way to help them and to form relationships with them.

No comments: