Wednesday, April 10, 2013

My Famous Daughters

My daughters are white with beautiful blue eys.  One has blonde hair, the other has light brown hair.  They look 100% American, but they live here.  Haley speaks perfect Spanish (as perfectly as any three year old speaks any language) and Emma also will learn both languages from birth.  Everywhere we go, people want to see them, talk to them, even take pictures with them (yes complete strangers ask us if they can take pictures with one/both of my daughters along with their children).  While it used to wierd me out a bit, I laugh at it now.

Haley is the little jewel of Ojojona.  Every student in her school (pre-K - 8th grade) know her and talk to her.  She is friends with all of them.  Anywhere we go in Santa Ana or Ojojona, people call out to her.  She just smiles and says "HOLA."  Since the time we lived in Costa Rica she has always gotten free things -suckers, candy, ice cream, chips, fruit- just because she is cute.  Here, Lupe, our neighbor, wants to give her chips several times a week.  She does not ask for the food; we do not raise a beggar.  People just get so excited about meeting her that they offer her treats.

Emma is also famous.  It does not matter where we are, people know her.  They love the blue-eyed Honduran.  The other day, I was telling my family how everyone that goes to Teleton, both patients and employees, know her by name.  They love her and dote on her.  As I was telling them this, someone walked by and said, LOOK THIS IS THE LITTLE WHITE BABY THAT I ALWAYS TALK ABOUT THAT I SEE AT TELETON ALL THE TIME.  When they walked away, we all errupted in laughter.  Various times we have been at the hospital, and employees (nurses, doctors, cleaning ladies, and administration) that had nothing to do with mine or Emma's care have come to talk to her and exclaimed that they either saw her or knew of her when she was born.

I love that my two little girls allow us to meet so many people.  Frequently, I'm given sweet opportunities to explain why I am here doing what I do because people come over wanting to see the blonde-haired blue-eyed girls.  It is amazing that God uses the two of them in a way to affect our ministry and to build relationships with so many people.

No comments: