Wednesday, March 2, 2011

What would you do if you couldn't provide food for your children?

One thing we must get used to here in Costa Rica, is the beggers.  It is not unusual for someone to come to our gate begging.  Frequently, it is men, and they are asking for money.  One time I gave a man some beans and rice each in a sandwich bag, and we found it thrown on the ground the next day.  We try to pray and try to use discernment when it comes to beggars.  Many times the men want money or something that can be sold to buy drugs.  Today, however, as I heard knocking on the gate, I looked out and saw a mom and two of her children.  The little boy, was 3, but he was smaller than Haley.  I asked her if these were her only two and she said, no I have three more at home.  Her five children range in ages from 1-17, and she didn't have the money to feed them.  When women and children are involved, my heart breaks.  I had bought a bag of black beans at the market on Saturday.  We were able to give her beans, rice, a can of fruit, and a few eggs.  I knew the food we provided would be able to last her family a few days.  Many times when people are trying to buy enough to sell, they continue door to door until they receive something to sell.  This lady, however, graciously took what I gave her and headed home with her children.

I cannot imagine not being able to feed my little Haley.  I know it must be humiliating to go door to door to ask for food to feed your children.  Just think, if you did not have the opportunity to receive an education and you have several children and no one to help care for them, your options for work are few, and one involves betraying yourself and pleasuring others.  I don't know what I would do in the same situation, but I would do whatever it took to put food on the table for my child.  Please pray for this lady and her children tonight, and thank God that you and your family were able to eat several times today.

In the States we do a lot of talking about God's call to feed the hungry, and look after the poor.  While poverty is everywhere in the states, it is much more in your face here, and even more wide-spread in Honduras.

No comments: